Every year, we grow stronger as a union. The 2010’s—and 2019 in particular—were a period of massive growth for Local 555 in both numbers and influence. Over the course of the decade, our membership has grown to over 25,000 members. From organizing new industries to ratifying the strongest contracts in decades, we have reached new heights because we stood together for better workplaces and communities. Here are three prime examples:
- BETTER CONTRACTS: We recently ratified the strongest contract for grocery workers to date. Highlights of the contract include a minimum hours guarantee, wage increases with retro for journeypersons, additions to our Health & Welfare with no takeaways or premium increases, a more compassionate bereavement leave policy, as well as a formalized path for members to enter higher-paying positions.
- ORGANIZING NEW INDUSTRIES: We wasted no time unionizing the cannabis industry after Oregon legalized recreational marijuana in 2014. Within a year, Oregon workers won the first-ever cannabis contract, featuring a $15 starting wage, paid sick leave, and other critical worker protections.
- POLICY REFORM: We passed First Day Sick Pay in 2015 (2016 for Washington), raised the floor on the minimum wage in 2016, and passed Fair Work Week in 2017. We have a consistent track record of successfully passing critical worker protections.
With all this progress, what do we have to look forward to as we enter 2020?
- The 2020 Oregon legislative short session (lasting only 35 days) starts in February. Look for information on Lobby Days coming soon, where we will advocate for higher wages, a ban on alcohol and tobacco sales at self-checkout, protections for cash-using customers, and increased enforcement of worker protections.
- Political work won’t end with the short session; 2020 is shaping up to be an important election year. With a presidential election and full ballots in Oregon and Washington for the November election, we have the opportunity to make our voices heard in Salem, Olympia, and Washington D.C.
- Contract negotiations are soon underway for Rosauers Supermarkets, (get info from collective bargaining department) SHOP, AND SHOP. As always we are committed to fighting for a contract that improves the lives of our members, coworkers, and families, which will in turn strengthen our community. Reach out to your rep ASAP to get involved in your contract campaign.
Visit our website to find your rep and their contact information, using the quick and easy Rep Finder tool. You can also update your contact information, learn about available discounts and benefits, request a copy of your contract, view upcoming member events, and more.
Strength can come in many forms; Our strength comes from our unity as we fight for wins for everyone.